I know, all rat parents will say: “What? I know everything about my babies!”. But, just give me a chance, and I will prove you, that there is still so much more about those wonderful creatures that all the world should know!
- Rats don’t jump often but if needed, they can show themself as amazing jumpers. The longest jumps noted were (approximately): horizontally – 100m long, vertically – 10 m!
- Your rats are talking to each other all the time. But you will never hear it – human ears are not good enough! (Some of the sounds rats are using to communicate are on a frequency that our ears can’t hear. Rats can hear frequencies from 200 Hz to 80-90 kHz, when human ear can hear from 16 Hz to 20 kHz. For example, rat babies searching for their mother are making sounds on frequency 30-50 kHz. If the rat is unhappy or stressed he will use frequency near to 20 kHz).
- Rats milk have more fat and protein then cow milk.
- Every rat herd have their own unique scent.
- Rats can see ultraviolet light.
- Your rat can move every whisker separately. This is just so cool!
- Every whisker has their own responsible cell in rat’s brain.
- The newly born rat learns the mother’s diet and her taste preferences through the taste of the milk. This way they are learning very early what types of food are safe.
- 1% of rat DNA is responsible only for olfactory receptors.
- Rats can “read” from other rat pee! I know it might sound weird but rats actually can find out from other rat urine scent and colour if the rat was male or female, if it was young or old, what was this rat place in hierarchy and even if he/she was nervous!
- Rat heart beats 320-480 times per minute.
- Rats can “record” the place (size, obstacles, entries etc.) and recreate it in their memory later. But that’s not all. They can play this “movie” backwards!
- Rats can see blue and green colours best. But, to be honest, their eyes are not focused on colours. For rats seeing is more recognizing light and dark. That’s why lights intensity if far more important for them and bright daily light can be very dangerous for their super sensitive eyes.
- The sight of a rat with dark eyes is 1 cpd, albino only 0,5 cpd, and human 30 cpd. Basically, we can say that rats are seeing all the time like a human who forgot to put on his glasses. Hence why, sometimes you can see them doing moves from right to left (motion parallax) to check the distance between the objects and focus their vision.
- Rats can “see” with their whiskers. They are using them not only to feel the distance but also density. Scientists were testing if rats can recognize empty space from a space covered with glass. Rats were always able to recognize the glass and walk through it, but only if they had their whiskers working properly.
Taking care of an elder rat is a challenge, even for experienced rat parent. Age aliments, meds, reduced physical activity, these are just some examples of difficulties which need to be endure, both by rat and the owner. But if your pet is well taken care of, old age might also be a time of a lot of joy, cuddles and time that will strengthen the bond between you and the animal.
You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
Here are the 5 things you should remember when your rat is getting older and starts to require even more of your attention then usual.
- Patience. You will start to feel as you can write your own chapter in the book “100 ways to give medicines to your pet”. You will also start to wonder why veterinary clinics doesn’t have loyalty program with card points. Some more ambitious rat parents might also try to earn the “veterinary technician assistant” badge. But when you will feel exhausted and powerless, your rattie will come to you and let you cuddle him for an hour. Can a rat parent imagine a better prize?
- Vigilance. Be like a best detective in the station – always watchful. If you will notice the smallest signals of disease immediately take action. Do not let any illness to struggle in your herd!
- Elders needs. Old rats have their needs. Cage should be furnished very well to prevent falling down or any injuries. If your cage is very big – consider moving gammer or even entire herd to a low but wide cage. Cover the bars, so weaker paws might not be caught between the rods. A very good idea might be also putting a carpet or non-slip mat on the floor near the cage, especially if your rats suffer for progressive legs paralysis. Try to force your rat to move a little bit. Exercises are important for elders to stay in good shape. Do not indulge laziness.
- Time. Hands on rats clocks move much faster than on human ones. Spend as much time with your rat as you can. Play, cuddle, have fun together. Remember, you are a whole world to your pet, and that tiny creature is spends its live with you, even if it’s just a moment for you.
- Food. Good nutrition is now very important. Time to end with yoggies, cookies and other forbidden foods, that you might been given to your pet from time to time. Old rats they do not need so much protein, but vitamin and good carbohydrates are welcome. It would be great if your rat could use his teeth as long as possible. Also watch his weight. Chubby rats might be cute but extra grams will just make it more difficult for them to walk. They will burden their, already week, paws or heart.
I think I can summarize all that was said above in one sentence, which is: Let’s hurry to love our rats, they leave too quickly.
Take care of your furry friends. They were there for you. Now you have to be there for them.
“Disenchant Rats” is a “must be” event for all rat lovers from Warsaw, Poland (or any other place if you want to visit). And it’s not only because during the event there will be also 1st Bielańska Rat Show.
Personally I’m waiting for a photographic exhibition, which is the result of competition, in which I took part. Rivals are difficult, so I consider my chances of winning small, but I will be happy just to watch any beautiful rat photos at the exhibition. I also want to chat with some rat breeders, check their rat families, because I am seriously thinking about creating new herd next year. Maybe I will also by some supplies. I am sewing hammocks by myself, but getting new rats is associated with buying a bigger cage (Critter Nation is my 1st point on the list for Santa but another Ferplast cage will do).
Anyway, I highly recommend you to consider visiting the “Disenchant the Rats” event, even if you are not a rat parent. It will be a great chance to revise some myths about those amazing pets, talk with rat owners, breeders and vets. The exhibition will be held on September 11, 2016 in the building of the Capital City District Office Bielany, Warsaw, at st. Żeromskiego 29.
If you want to take part in Rat Show here are some important info:
Main judge: Rian van Andel (Netherlands).
The exhibition will be open to the public from 10:00 to 18:00 (accepting rats from 8:00 to 9:45). Applications are accepted utill 2.09.2016 r.
Find more information on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1191792107529236/. And see you there!
P.S. You can count on photographic report after the event!